Windblown is located in the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire, which abounds with Country Inns and Bed and Breakfasts, many just a few minutes away. See our complete description of the closest ones listed under Area Lodging. Some adventurous skiers choose to stay overnight in our Warming Hut, a rustic cabin in the middle of our trail system. Serious winter campers can rent two of our three-sided shelters , see Shelters and Camping.
The Warming Hut is a cabin that is open to all our skiers during the day and may be rented overnight (during the winter season only) by a group of one to fifteen people. Overnight users ski or snowshoe in a half a mile, packing in their food and sleeping bags. The Warming Hut is fully insulated, heated by a wood stove and lit by gas and kerosene lamps. Two outhouses are in the back. It has a kitchen equipped with a gas stove and oven, pots and pans, and dishes, cups and utensils for twelve people. Seven gallons of potable water is delivered for each night. Firewood is provided in an interior wood box. There is one double bed with a futon, seven wide benches for adults and one shorter bench for a child, all with foam pads. You are welcome to bring more pads to sleep on the floor. The most it will fit is fifteen people, but that's a crowd. Large groups may set up a couple tents for additional sleeping space.
2014 - 2015 Warming Hut Rates: Adults - $20, Ages 8 to 17 - $10. An $80 non-refundable deposit is required and is the minimum charge for Friday, Saturday and Holiday nights, i.e. if your group is one to four adults the total cost is $80, if your group is five adults the total cost is $100 ($20 x 5). The maximum charge is $140 no matter how many people in your group. The non-refundable deposit and minimum for Sunday through Thursday non-holiday nights is $60. To make a reservation for the Warming Hut you need to know the following details:
1. We start accepting reservations for the winter season on the first Monday in October at 7 am by telephone only. Weekend nights fill up on that day so make your plans early! We ask that you reserve only one Saturday night per winter to give other folks a chance to enjoy this special place. Advanced Reservations available for large groups such as school groups and scout groups. Starting on the second Monday in September you can call to reserve a night for your group but we must receive your check for the full maximum charge of $140 before regular reservations open in October to hold your large group's date.
2. You need to send us a non-refundable deposit of $80 within two weeks of making your reservation, (or $60 for weeknights). Send it to: Windblown, 1180 Turnpike Road, New Ipswich, NH 03071
3. The Warming Hut is for overnight use regardless of whether or not we have snow. We do not return deposits for lack of snow or poor weather conditions. If we feel the trail or weather conditions are dangerous (which rarely happens), we will give you a credit to use on another date. No refunds are available.
4. If we are open for skiing, you need to check in at our Ski Shop before 5 p.m.. If this is not possible, you may make arrangements with us to arrive later, but only if you are familiar with the route to the Warming Hut. If you are arriving late and need rental gear we can make special arrangements to meet you. If we are closed for skiing, please call to let us know if you are coming or not and to arrange for paying your balance.
5. All members of your group must purchase a minimum of one part-day trail ticket per person. When you check in you will be asked to pay the balance of your bill (see rates above), and to purchase trail tickets for the day you arrive and for the next day, for each member of your group. If you arrive after 4:30 p.m. there will be no charge for skiing that day. You will not be charged for skiing the next day if you are off the trails and back at your vehicles by 9 a.m. A weekend morning part-day rate is available if you check out by noon.
6. No one is permitted to walk in unless the trails are closed for lack of snow. Footprints on ski trails are dangerous to skiers.
7. We offer the service of transporting your gear to the Warming Hut on a large sled pulled behind our snowmobile when there is enough snow. We will take one trip out between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. and return between 9 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. to hitch up the pre-loaded sled. Please have it ready to go by 9 a.m. The round trip cost is $30. Additional round trips are each $15.